Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The Worst Thing I've Ever Done

Sorry, I'm not going to tell you. Honestly, I don't even know what the worst thing is that I've ever done. (I'm sure my parents or my wife could name a few candidates, but I wish they wouldn't.) In any event, I don't want anyone to think any less of me or judge me by the negatives. There is more to me than any one bad thing. I trust that's a sentiment shared by many.

I represent people accused of bad things. Many of them have, shall we say, checkered pasts. But most all of them have positive qualities, too. They can be charming, friendly, compassionate, and even sympathetic. I confess, I actually like most of my clients, notwithstanding the bad things they may have done.

As Sister Helen Prejean reminds us, there is more to a man than the worst thing he's ever done. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be our society's creed. But we should no more expect others not to judge us by our worst acts than we should insist on uncompromising condemnation of people who have committed singular misdeeds. There is good in everyone, and everyone should be able to overcome their past. Save, of course, living down their good reputation (so says Oscar Wilde).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep writing this blog. You matter.